Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

he is a 67lb shari pei mix who has terminal lymphoma which

Customer Question

he is a 67lb shari pei mix who has terminal lymphoma which we are trying to control with prednisone can he take 100 mg of gabapentin
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: he is uncomfortable due to increased swelling in his neck lymphnodes
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: buddy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: he has taken 60 mg prednisone today ... he is coming to the end of his life and tonight he is comfortable and I want to see if this would help
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

So sorry to hear about Buddy's condition, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. There is no medical reason why a dog in that sort of situation cannot take Gabapentin as well as Prednisone, Gabapentin is used to treat pain in dogs and a typical dose rate would be 3 mg { Range 1.5 to 5 mg } per pound of the dog's bodyweight given orally once a day. So really 200 mg would be fine in your dog's case.

2. Where I give clients advice about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so they can check the accuracy of my answers and rad more on the topic. : LINK

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Buddy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Buddy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of Gabapentin ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you the information helped and he is still hanging in there

Hello again,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that the information I provided was of use to you. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for check but he has since passed away

So sad to hear your news ....

Dr Scott