Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog at some food that had Ortho fire ant killer on it.

Customer Question

my dog at some food that had Ortho fire ant killer on it. Has been drooling all day and got sick.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Terk age 7 Black Lab, he's on seacear meds already
JA: How old is Black?
Customer: 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Black?
Customer: Yes he has had a couple seizure's within the last year and is on meds for them, He acts like he had a seizure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he eat this?

What was the active ingredient in the product used?

By acting like he has had a seizure, do you mean wobbly, weak or just the drooling/vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can he keep water down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ace phate he has drank some water but has got sick
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now when our dogs eat chemicals like this we do need to tread with care. Now I have looked into the active ingredient as well as I awaited your reply and in regards ***** ***** signs from this, we can see GI upset (vomiting, drooling, appetite loss, diarrhea) but also respiratory effects, tremors, seizures, tearing of the eyes, and changes to the heart rate. That said, if does take quite a large dose to cause the more serious signs associated with this poison.

Therefore with this in mind and with this likely an ingestion that happened over 2 hours ago, I would note that we’d be best to consider treating with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we do need to plan to closely monitor and can consider trying to offset his current signs. First, if he is drooling, we’d want to rinse his mouth to remove any residue from the product. As well, since he is nauseous, you can start him on an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Once he is a bit more settled, you can plan to offer a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder).

Overall, Acephate is a chemical that can cause some serious signs in our dogs. Still, it does take a large volume to do serious harm and his signs do sound mild. So, we'd want to start the above now to see if we can soothe his stomach and get him settled. Though if you find he is too nauseous even for the above, then that would be our sign to have his local vet start IV fluids and anti-nausea medication by injection to halt his vomiting and get this out of his system as quickly as possible.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.