Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dogs back leg went "dead" and he toes under...it's been about 6 months...the vet said he potentially had a piece...

Customer Question
my dogs back leg went...
my dogs back leg went "dead" and he toes under...it's been about 6 months...the vet said he potentially had a piece of cartilage thrown from the spine which damaged the nerve. The leg isn't coming back. I know that...it just kind of drags around. I worry he feels pain but she says no. Any reason this would happen besides the embolism?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: of course.....yes this was 6 months ago
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: it started
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
waiting for an answer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Melanie Goble,
 replied 1 year ago
Melanie Goble

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years.

Dog Veterinarian: Melanie Goble,
 replied 1 year ago

Am I reading correctly that your question is what else can cause a back leg to not work and knuckle under?

Dog Veterinarian: Melanie Goble,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok. I can help with that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he gets along fine...except when he is tired
he drags that leg when he walks but when he runs he hops like a rabbit with both legs together.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he can't do stairs well either
Dog Veterinarian: Melanie Goble,
 replied 1 year ago

Any time there is knuckling over and the leg appears "dead," then there has been trauma to the brain or the spinal cord. If it is only a back leg, then the damage is in the cord behind the front legs (T2-L2 is the spinal column region). An embolus can cause that, as can a hematoma (bruise) or a disc problem. The disc can protrude and push on the spinal cord.

Dog Veterinarian: Melanie Goble,
 replied 1 year ago

Really, the only way to know for sure is to do either an MRI or a myelogram (an x-ray taken after a special dye is injected around the spinal cord).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think it was an embolus
I stated that he possibly had an embolism in the original message
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it doesn't hurt him...he runs when a squirrel comes by and he seems totally fine otherwise. I just wanted to know if it was anything else
Dog Veterinarian: Melanie Goble,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes, and embolism is one of the options, but you asked for many options, I had to include that one, even though you already have it on your radar. :)

Usually, they do fine, but in some cases, if it is a disc issue, it can cause more problems causing sudden paralysis of both back legs. This generally needs emergency treatment if you want to get function of the leg (or legs back).

Does that answer your questions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To an extent. He has not had any other back leg issues. pretty sure that leg is beyond regeneration. He is 13 years old dachshund.
My last dachshund had a double disc extrusion and died on the table from a heart murmur. I won't do that again.
Dog Veterinarian: Melanie Goble,
 replied 1 year ago

What else can I help you with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nothing I guess. thank you.
Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble