Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan,
Experience:  Small Animal Surgery Resident at University of Florida
94543743

Have an 8 yr old golden lab. Won't eat. Drinks a lot of

Customer Question

Have an 8 yr old golden lab. Won't eat. Drinks a lot of water. Lately vomiting clear liquid wits slight possible traces of blood.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ana Bascunan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'm happy to help you with your question. How long has Brandi Lucy been unwilling to eat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One week. We then started giving her scrambled eggs mixed with her kibble along with missing with warm water. This lasted about 4 days. Yesterday she vomited twice. Very clear liquid like water with what looks like very mall traces of blood. Prior to the vomiting she had not eaten for about 24 hours.

Poor baby, that sounds awful. Is Brandi Lucy spayed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 7 years ago.

Ok great. My first concern was a uterine infection as this can cause vomiting, anorexia, and increased thirst. Did the increased thirst start around the same time as the appetite change or has that been going on for longer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About the same time.

Ok thank you. Does she have any trouble holding down water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She drank a substantial amount of water last evening, and then during the night she vomited the water up.

Well that's not good. I have to say, given the duration of Brandi Lucy's signs (almost a week of not eating and not feeling well is quite some time), and the new development of vomiting with slight traces of blood, I am quite concerned for her. Possible causes of decreased appetite, vomiting with blood, and increased thirst include gastrointenstial ulceration (which can range from mild to severe/life threatening), foreign body obstruction, and hormonal diseases (diabetes, adrenal gland disorders).

Has she produced any feces this week? If so, were they normal in appearance and consistency?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fairly normal. This morning was a small amount, and not the normal amount. She loves to rub and play ball this morning I didn't take the ball and she kept looking for it. Eventually she was content with walking around and sniffing.

Well I'm glad to hear that she is feeling ok otherwise and still has some energy to play (that lowers my level of concern somewhat).

Does Brandi Lucy have a veterinarian that you could take her to see this week?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have usually taken her to San Bernardino Humane Society clinic. For shots and grooming, we take her to PetCo.

Ok great. And the San Bernadino Humane Society clinic will see sick dogs (pardon my ignorance, every shelter has different policies and regulations)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe so. Right now, she is lying on cool floor rather lethargic.

Poor girl. Well my recommendation, in an ideal world, would be to take her to an emergency clinic tonight for evaluation. My reasons for this include the duration of her symptoms, the fact that her condition has recently worsened, and that she's not acting normally otherwise (laying lethargic on the floor). Of course I can't see her or examine her, so you'll need to use your best judgement to make that call.

If an emergency vet is not an option due to finances or availability, I would take her in first thing tomorrow morning to the Humane Society clinic. They will likely recommend blood work and x-rays to evaluate her internal organs. They may also recommend fluid therapy if she is dehydrated, and anti-nausea medication to help her feel better.

Do you have any further questions that I can help with?

Do you have any further questions that I can help with? If not, I wish you and Brandi Lucy all the best! I would love to hear an update after she sees the vet!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife just located an emergency clinic in Grand Terrace. We are getting ready to call, and see if we can bring her in this evening. Thank you for your assistance. I will send you an update when we know more.

Perfect! I'm glad to hear that she'll be getting the care she needs. She's lucky to have such a loving family. :)

How is Brandi Lucy doing today?