Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 12 lb dog ingested a small amount of calcium chloride

Customer Question

my 12 lb dog ingested a small amount of calcium chloride from a moisture dryer container called DampRid. What should our concerns be and a recommended treatment
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if DampRid will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about DampRid?
Customer: nothing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long since he ingested the calcium chloride?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, calcium chloride ingestion can cause ulcers of the gastrointestinal tract, abdominal pain, vomiting, etc. I would recommend the following:

1- Rinse her/his mouth with plenty of water.

2- Give him/her some milk immediately to dilute the calcium chloride in the stomach.

3- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol. You can start her/him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 5-7 days.

4- Do not induce vomiting.

5- If you see any of the following symptoms have your dog seen by family veterinarian: Anorexia, vomiting, abdominal pain, lethargy, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.