Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 3 year old male standard poodle who was recently

Customer Question
knocked over by one of...
I have a 3 year old male standard poodle who was recently knocked over by one of my other dogs on Monday by that night he was stiff and not eating or drinking so took him to my vet. She did not feel anything broken but ran blood work and it came back normal except for white cells sligthly up so she prescribed an antibiotic and anti inflammatory. By Friday he was moving fine but still not eating much and vomitting so she had me stop the meds. The vomitting continued so on Sunday she prescribed Albon and Ceranium which stopped the vomitting but I am still having difficulty getting him to eat anything even boiled chicken or broth. My vet ran another blood panel today, a urinalysis and took a stool sample....all came back perfectly fine. I am very concerned about him not eating and at my wits end and it has my vet baffled so I am desparate for any help or suggestions of what to do next.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Hello

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your poodle. This does sound strange, to stop eating and drinking after just being knocked over. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Do you happen to have a copy of the blood tests I could look at?

What was the antibiotic, and the anti inflammatory?

Two things come to mind: he may have injured his neck or spinal cord in the accident. Were any Xrays taken? I might try some pain medication different from the anti inflammatory that was given earlie.

The other thing, just because he is a standard Poodle, is checking for Addison's disease. This is a condition where the adrenal glands are underactive, and the symptoms can be very subtle. A stressful event can make a dog with Addison's seem suddenly much worse.

On blood tests, classic Addison's shows low sodium and high potassium but there is "atypical Addisons" where these numbers are normal. An "ACTH stim test" is needed to check for Addison's.

Please let me know how he is doing and what other questions I can answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Duke. How is everything going?

How is he doing? Let me know if I can answer anything else, and if this was helpful. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian