Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is in the late stages of heart failure. She has been

Customer Question
My dog is in the...
My dog is in the late stages of heart failure.
She has been active, eating and drinking.
However, we had a major heat streak this weekend with very high humidity. She has been panting and breathing heavy for days. She also has been acting odd. She just stands and stares off into space. She doesn't look to be in pain, it's just not normal behavior. She is a 16.5 year old pom. Can this behavior be cause by her heart failure?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, it is quite possible her heart failure is related to the signs you are seeing. Often in hot weather (where the body tends to need more oxygen for its cells), we will see heart disease dogs struggling. And if her heart isn't getting enough oxygen pumped around her body via her circulation, then this can cause lethargy, reduced activity, and odd behavior (where the staring is likely a mild sign of her brain being oxygen deprived but not quite to a level where she is fainting with it).

Therefore, we do need to tread with care in the warm weather. We do want to keep her inside and in cool temperatures (using fans or A/C). As well, as the warmer weather is creeping in and already we are seeing some decompensation, this would be a good time for a check up with her vet. They may be able to adjust her drug doses to just keep her more stable and avoid her having complications from her heart disease over the warmer weather.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian