Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think she might have swallowed a garden slug when I took

Customer Question
her out to go potty...
I think she might have swallowed a garden slug when I took her out to go potty. Are they poisonous? We live in Florida.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: A garden slug
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No, I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat this?

Was it alive or dead?

Have you or any neighbours been treating with slug poison?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About 20 min. ago. Not sure if she ate it our just licked it, but keeps trying to lick her mouth. I think Alivve. Haven't treated with slug poisen. In the backyard. She was on a leash but was quick.

Thank you,

While unpleasant to us, this isn't a risk for your lass. If you had been using slug bait and it was dead from that, then we'd be worried. But an alive slug isn't toxic and usually won't cause them any issue. So, you can rinse her mouth in case it has irritated it (some aren't nice tasting to avoid birds eating them) and if she doesn't any stomach upset then we can plan to offer a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). These can be offered for a few days as small meals to just counter any upset from this not very nice possible ingestion.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She stopped licking now. Thank you!

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to hear that she has settled now. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian