Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My son didn't kniw that s dog got out of s house and got

Customer Question
Hello. My son didn't kniw...
Hello. My son didn't kniw that his dog got out of his house and got into his car. He left home to go golfing. When he returned he went to get into his car and found his dog laying in the back. Due to the holiday no vet in our area will look at her. She is pregnant. I took her temp it was 103.4 I got it down to 98.6 she is now walking but nit that good. She is having very loose mucus stools. We are hand giving her water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name Mya
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mya?
Customer: Well she is drooling and not very active. Very weak as well. Please help she is a family member not just a dog
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Ana Bascunan,
 replied 1 year ago
Ana Bascunan

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help answer your question about Mya. First of all I would like to say how sorry I am that this happened and that I know how awful your son must be feeling.

Dog Veterinarian: Ana Bascunan,
 replied 1 year ago

While I cannot examine your dog in person, based on your description it sounds like Mya is suffering from heat exhaustion or heat stroke. I'm glad you were able to get her temperature down to normal, but she is far from out of the woods (especially since she is pregnant). You mentioned that there are no emergency veterinary services nearby. Would you be willing or able to drive her to an emergency clinic? If so, can you give me your general location so that I can help find you a 24 hour emergency clinic?

Dog Veterinarian: Ana Bascunan,
 replied 1 year ago

I hope Mya is doing ok. Since I haven't heard from you I will provide you some general information on heat stroke and can answer any follow up questions you may have. Heat stroke is a very dangerous condition and can become life threatening if not treated appropriately. Severe heat leads to a state of physiologic shock in which the organs are not receiving enough blood and eventually start to shut down (multi-organ failure). In advanced cases we can see problems with clotting blood and bleeding internally, as well as fluid build-up in the lungs which makes it hard to breathe. Because Mya is very weak, drooling excessively, and is showing signs of gastrointestinal distress (diarrhea), my recommendation is that you take her to a veterinarian immediately for treatment. They will likely run some blood tests, possibly take x-rays of her chest, and provide supportive care such as IV fluids, anti-nausea medication, and other medications as indicated. It's clear how much you care for her (I love that you said she is a family member not just a dog), and I sincerely ***** ***** pulls through this unfortunate event.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on anything.

Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan