Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 13 year old dog is mostly blind and walks disoriented.

Customer Question
We don't see any other...
Our 13 year old dog is mostly blind and walks disoriented. We don't see any other signs of pain....although, a few years ago she was diagnosed with a probable tumor on her spleen. I've heard that dogs often don't show signs of pain. Is it possible that she may be hurting more than we know?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to the chat! I am Dr. Altman and am happy to answer your questions today

So sorry to hear you are having issues with site and potentially also cognitive changes (disorientation) in Ginger.

Below is more information on this condition, called canine cognitive disorder:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/keeping-your-dog-healthy/senior-dog-care/cognitive-dysfunction-in-elderly-dogs

There are treatments for this that can help in supplement form but also in some situations medications as well.

1.) Melatonin can help with barking or increased movement at night

2.) Proneurozone which is a supplement for brain function that can help with mental clarify in senior pets. It is available through your veterinarian but also on-line at stores like amazon.com

3.) Fish oil is essential for brain function and used at higher doses to help cognitive function. For example, for your dog's size 1000 mg EPA & DHA daily. This can be a human formula

4.) Anipryl which is a medication used for cognitive function if the above options are not helping

5.) Alprazolam (xanax) is used for episodes of anxiety not controlled by conventional methods. Not intended for daily use but is effective as needed (in the diazepam or valium family)

6.) Donepezil 10 mg is a newer option used in human Alzheimer’s patients and is receiving attention by some veterinarians for cognitive dysfunction that we see in dogs as well as in humans. The dose ranges from 10-30 mg (1.5 mg/kg average) daily

These are all methods that your veterinarian would have available to you to assist with some of the cognitive issues and some that you should be able to purchase at a local vitamin store or on-line

As far as quality of life questions and pain related issues I can give you some handouts to help quantify pain levels. Often we look at quality of life as whether they are still doing any of their favorite things, whether it be a favorite toy or treat, sitting with you while on the couch, barking at the neighbors to name a few. In addition, do they still have the "light" in their eyes (even if non seeing), meaning are they still responsive to their environment and you or are they dull, listless, and fading away?

Quality of life assessment handout: http://www.peacefulpetdepartures.com/quality-of-life-assessment/

Pain assessment handout: http://www.csuanimalcancercenter.org/assets/files/csu_acute_pain_scale_canine.pdf

I hope the above options are helpful to you but if I can assist with clarifying anything or guiding any further questions you might have please don't hesitate to ask.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thank you

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Hi Jeff,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ginger. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian