Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Collie, Sophie has had a loose stool past 3 days. This

Customer Question
My Collie, Sophie has had...
My Collie, Sophie has had a loose stool for the past 3 days. This morning she won't eat, and she threw up when I let her out to go to the bathroom. She is drinking water, but even meat baby food doesn't tempt her and that's a first. We went for a walk and she seemed fine, afterwards she went down into the basement where she likes to lay on the cold floor. I just went down to check on her, and she was standing up so I scratched her neck and back like she likes and rubbed her belly, but when I went from rubbing her belly back by her hind legs up to her back, she yelped. I felt terrible, she's never done that before. And all the vets are closed today. I'm worried.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: She wears a leg brace for a birth defect on her left front wrist, her ligaments are bad.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago
Jennifer Van Noy

I’m Dr. Jenn and I’m a licensed veterinarian with 18 years of experience. I’m here to help with your question about Sophie. I’m so sorry you’re having this problem, but glad you’re looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you’re satisfied with the information I’ve provided. I’ll do my best to ear your good rating, because that’s the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In order to help me help you better, I’ll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:

• What did Sophie throw up?
  • When was the last time she ate?
  • Are you able to take her temperature?
  • Did she eat anything that she shouldn't have?

I’ll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you for using our website.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She threw up just yellow frothy stuff.
She ate the last time, 6 pm yesterday. She had rice and meat baby food.
Her temperature is 101
I don't think she ate anything she shouldn't have, she's not one to get into trash or things.
Thank you!
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago

Her temperature is normal. It's been a few hours since the first email- how is Sophie now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's normal.
Well, in the meantime, we went to the emergency vet. They did a fecal and x-rayed her back. Turns out the x-rays are normal but she has Giardia. She got 2 shots, we have a probiotic now, and an antibiotic and something else for the parasite. I am so glad that it isn't anything worse! (But I think Sophie needs a job to pay for this one! Ha ha)
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Van Noy,
 replied 1 year ago

I'm glad you took her in and got some answers! Hope she feels better soon.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian