Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My rottweiler was mistakenly given my medication, which is

Customer Question
500mg Ranexa, that is for...
My rottweiler was mistakenly given my medication, which is 500mg Ranexa, that is for treatment of angina pain. Will it hurt him? He is taking antibiotics for hot spots.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me his weight and how long ago this was ingested? Is he a healthy Rottie or have any medical conditions?

The observed effects appear to be associated with toxicity to the central nervous system (CNS) and include convulsions, ataxia (walking drunk), prostration, and death.

This is not a medication used in dogs but there are studies for human purposes of toxicity

Dogs showed above signs, but no deaths, at 60-80 mg/kg/day; a single oral dose of 150 mg/kg was lethal to one animal. Likewise, the minimal lethal dose in the oral single-dose study in mice was 250 mg/kg and several deaths occurred in the 500 mg/kg dose-group.

As a precaution, if your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If it is more than an hour or you are unable to induce vomiting then please monitor closely for the above signs and if seen please seek veterinary attention asap

I hope this information makes sense but if it was one 500 mg tablet/ capsule and he is larger than 30 pounds as most Rotties are then you should not see any effects (if healthy) and if they are seen they should be mild and pass readily

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Here is a European article on studies in dogs. It is very long but does have the above information within for your review:

http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Public_assessment_report/human/000805/WC500045942.pdf

Good luck to you both

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Good evening, I wanted to check in with you on your Rottie to ensure there were no issues with the ingestion earlier? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian