How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 30293
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 13 lb doxie that ate a package of chocolate pudding

Customer Question

I have a 13 lb doxie that ate a package of chocolate pudding mix. I'm not sure when. I haven't been home for 7 hours. I just gave him .5ml of peroxide. Will he be ok?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jack and 7yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: He's acting lethargic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

It's too late for inducing emesis with peroxide but 0.5 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide won't be harmful. (Dosing to induce emesis is 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight.) There isn't much chocolate in that pudding mix. It takes 13 ounces of milk chocolate, 4 ounces of dark chocolate, or ~2 ounces of baking chocolate or liquor to intoxicate a 13 lb doxi with the theobromine in chocolate. Intoxication causes vomiting, agitation, and tremors. Lethargy isn't expected and so rather than Jack being intoxicated with theobromine, he may simply be experiencing the discomfort of ingesting such an unusual food. Is there any indication that he has vomited?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I needed to take Jack to the hospital because they said he had pancreatitis. He stayed for 2 days and is doing great now! I'm not taking any more chances and he, along with Bailey my bichon poodle mix, are being crated when I'm not home.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Oh my. Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.