Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog just ate eight large chocolate cookies with cream

Customer Question

My dog just ate eight large chocolate cookies with cream fillings. She had just finished eating dinner and got on the table and ate the whole bag. We found the wrappers.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Chocolate and cocoa powder are toxic to dogs, if enough is eaten. How big a dog is she? Do you have the package or know the name of the cookies so I can try to estimate how much actual chocolate (cookies are mostly sugar, flour, butter, etc.) was eaten?

You could try to make her vomit by giving her some hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream. I need her weight to give you a dose of peroxide.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If she did not get much actual chocolate, you may only see vomiting if anything.

Expert:  Erin Brown replied 1 year ago.
How much does she weigh roughly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
55 lbs
Expert:  Erin Brown replied 1 year ago.
In reality your dog will be ok. Dark chocolate is worse for dogs. Things you may see are diarrhea and upset stomach
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote. How is she doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog today?