Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is panting, committed once and can't stand

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Thanks for asking your question. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since 5 am, I don't think so no pre existing conditions
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He was fine at 5:00 am this morning, he threw up once and will not stand

1- Have you tried to stand her up? If so, is she able to support her weight?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- Prior to 5 a.m. she was completely normal, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Prior to 5 am he was fine but doesn't want to stand

1- Can you try to get him up and see if he is able to support his weight?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try

okay

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He does not want to stand
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is alert

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He had rabies shot a week ago and flea meds on flea meds on Wednesday

Friend, when a dog is not willing or losses the ability to stand we need to try to determine if this is the result of a primary neuromuscular disorder or secondary to a systemic disease. For example, a dog with a slipped disc will not have the ability to stand because of the disc compressing the spinal cord. Or, if the dog is systemically like if he/she had: Kidney or liver disease, infections, a tumor, heart disease, etc. they may refused to stand up because they do not feel well. The fact that he vomited I am inclined to believe this could be related to a systemic disease as mentioned above. However, neuromuscular disorders need to be ruled out as well.

In this case unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having him checked this morning by nearest veterinarian, do not wait. Most of the above mentioned diseases could have a fatal outcome if he is not treated promptly. In addition, if related to a slipped disc the longer he goes untreated the less likely he will recover. Unfortunately not much I can recommend for you to try at home, I am sorry.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is very alert and the panting has subsided

Those are good signs. I would however have him checked this morning.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What are you most concerned about
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The panting or that he doesn't want to stand

The panting is only a symptom, this could be a sign of pain, stress or an underlying heart or lung disease. So, I am really concern of all the diseases I listed above. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing which is the underlying cause without a hands on examination as all have similar symptoms.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You were wrong, it was strong reaction from flea meds, all organs and bloodwork good

No friend, I was not wrong I did not examine your dog. And you failed to say you had used any medication. I specifically asked you if she had gotten into anything and you said no (please read above). But, I am happy to learn I was able to influence you to seek veterinary help. Thank you for the update. :)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Read above I said he had rabies shot and flea meds on Wednesday

And you said he was fine at 5 a.m. I have opted out so another expert can help you.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian