Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Think friends dog ingested methamphetamine. Can we do

Customer Question
anything his dog? JA: I'm sorry...
Think friends dog ingested methamphetamine. Can we do anything his dog?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Duke 5yr pomeranian 6lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duke?
Customer: Dog running in circles under his bed. Did go outside and pee & pooped 30 min ago on leash. Did OK on walk. But wanted to return home more quickly than usual.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he have this?

How much do you think he had?

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but as this is a worrying situation and time is of the essence, I will leave my thoughts in case you are having issues replying. Now I have to say that I am very concerned about this poor lad. If it has ingested crystal meth (amphetamine), then even a tiny dose could cause serious harm. Generally speaking, it only takes 0.5 milligrams per kilogram of a dog’s body weight (3mg for Duke, a tiny amount) to cause adverse signs of amphetamine poisoning. Signs generally include restlessness, agitation, hyperactivity, increased breathing and heart rate, shaking, and tremors. As well, there is also risk of neurological signs (ie tremors, seizures and collapse).

In regards ***** ***** can be done, I would note that we don’t tend to induce vomiting due to the speed of absorption and the risk of choking or aspirating vomit into the lungs. Instead, you can consider using activated charcoal at this stage (and we have to be quick since this is absorbed quick). This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Now we would need to focus on supportive care. Ideally, it would be best to have him hospitalised at the vets. The vet does have client confidentiality and will only be interested in helping and not in getting anyone in trouble. In regards ***** ***** they can do, a veterinarian can give acepromazine or chlorpromazine to counteract the effects. Also, a vet can give cyproheptadine (Periactin) to further block the drugs effects.

Otherwise, you will need to keep Duke calm in a quiet dimly lit room to try to reduce the risk of seizures in the next 24 hours. We do want to encourage to drink, to help flush the drug out of his system. As well, we do want to keep him eating and canned food is high in water, so that will help as well. For dogs that have had small doses and thus only have mild signs, they will be agitated but eventually settle. Though if he had quite a bit (as he is very small) or shows any of those more serious signs I noted, we'd really want him to the local vet urgently.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian