Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has completely healthy, firm stool, however,

Customer Question
occasionally secrets from his anal...
My dog has completely healthy, firm stool, however, occasionally secrets from his anal glands at random times, sometimes just sitting on the couch. Smells HORRIBLE. He does not have any redness, inflammation, or soreness around his anus. Is this normal for him to leak every now and then?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear your dog is excreting anal gland material unprovoked! It sounds like the anal glands are full and irritating. Because they are expressing on their own I would advise monthly expression at either a groomer or having your veterinary clinic technician express them as an alternative to save your carpet/ couch and nose from the foul odor

Here is more information on anal glands in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/body-structure-function/anal-glands-in-dogs

Until you are able to get this done there are a few things you can do:
- Warm compresses on the rear to help loosen the material in the glands
- Increase the bulk of the stool with fiber such as white rice, canned pumpkin (1 tsp for her size twice daily), or supplementing the normal diet with a light formula diet. This potentially can reduce the accidents along with regular expression of the glands
- Increase exercise with leash walks 15+ minutes 2-3 times daily to increase defecation of the larger stools
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound given every 8 hours if Tanner shows any symptoms of irritation such as licking or scooting but may cause mild sedation initially

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! I am online another 10 minutes to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian