Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog has red eye, extra skin folds sticking out of s eye.

Customer Question

My dog has red eye, extra skin folds sticking out of his eye. What is that?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bruce. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

How long has this been present? Can you post a picture of it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 weeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is pretty significant. That area could be damage to the eyelid there. It could be a growth / tumor of some sort. Could it be some sort of cyst? Do you feel that it is growing or getting worse? Have you had a vet check it out in person? Honestly a veterinary exam up close is going to be the best thing that could be done with this to get that answer and to then start up the therapy that is needed. This isn't a third eyelid / cherry eye situation which was something that I was curious about before seeing the photo.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a cherry eye situation? So you're saying it's most likely a tumor? If so, would a surgery resolve the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I can't tell the difference between a cyst or a tumor.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

A cherry eye is when the gland with the third eyelid prolapses. Here is a link on it.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=567

More than likely it will be a vet that can tell the difference between a cyst and a tumor. Could surgery be needed to remove it? IT may. Will it resolve the issue? It depends on the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is a cyst contagious?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

A cyst isn't contagious. It is a fluid filled pocket due to obstruction of a gland or something.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm hoping for the best for Oddee. Give him an ear scratching and get him to your vet so they can be right up close and get some more information obtained. They can then tell you more specifically what needs to be done for it.