Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

He is vomiting every time he eats. The vet put m on anti

Customer Question

He is vomiting every time he eats. The vet put him on anti biotic but he is vomiting without taking it as well
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Boxer. 70#
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Boxer eat anything unusual?
Customer: 10 yes old
JA: How old is Boxer?
Customer: Years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boxer?
Customer: He is so weak that he has trouble standing on our wood floor now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Did the weakness start since he started vomiting?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- What is the name of the medication he is on?

5- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been going on about a week. No, the weakness started first. He has hip displacia but that is it. Tuesday the vet diagnosed him with a tick borne disease that could cause bleeding in the future. He put jake on doxycycline and carprophen. He weighs 70# ***** the nose right now
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am sorry I am on my way out now for the night. I will opt out so another expert can help you.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

It appears your first expert had to leave the conversation. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How is your Boxer doing today?

Both of the medications he is taking can cause vomiting. Doxycycline has to be taken on a full stomach or it causes vomiting, and carprofen also can upset the stomach.

Tick borne diseases do not often cause vomiting. If this were my own dog, I would start medication for vomiting such as Cerenia (prescription only but the best vomiting medication I know) or famotidine (over the counter; a 70 pound dog would take 20 mg twice daily; also called Pepcid AD). I would also take an Xray to see if I could see a reason for the vomiting. I would probably stop the doxycycline until he stops vomiting, or only give it after a meal when he can keep food down.

I am very worried about this much vomiting, especially in a Boxer that is 10. Sadly, this wonderful breed is very prone to cancer, and I worry about that possibility in any middle aged sick Boxer. Xrays are where I would start, and some basic blood tests if that has not been done.

Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.