Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a 80 lb blue heeler/aust. shepherd and he cut s

Customer Question
We have a 80 lb...
We have a 80 lb blue heeler/aust. shepherd and he cut his foot. Bled a lot and he's not able to put much weight on it. Today it is swollen and he won't let us look at it. Can we give him amoxicillin 500 mg. human meds. and should we try some other meds.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as Case's wound isn't bleeding actively and isn't gaping open (since we need the edges aligned for natural healing, else this would require stitching); you can consider starting a broad spectrum antibiotic. We often will use Amoxicillin and an 80lb dog could be given a 500mg tablet every 12 hours for 7-10 days. Alongside, this we'd want to keep flushing the wound 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic +/- applying the OTC Neosporin. An e-collar should be used and the foot should be covered with a sock or bandage (though this needs changing daily) to prevent self trauma and licking. Otherwise, if he is very sore with this, then we'd want his local vet to dispense dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Previcox, Rimadyl) as OTC human ones are either dangerous or cannot be used where there has been bleeding.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** do you recommend?

You are very welcome,

I usually use dilute OTC chlorohexidine or betadine. Though in a pinch we can use salt water (1tbsp in a pint warm water).

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian