Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

We have a 250 pd Allatonian Sheperd. He ate a small section

Customer Question

We have a 250 pd Allatonian Sheperd. He ate a small section of rat poison. We live out on a ranch what can we do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yes a small portion of decon
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No. he is part of the family. Is there anything that we can do?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer.
An ingestion of a small section of bromifacoum (d-CON) will go unnoticed. It takes at least 1.8 ounces per 22 lbs of body weight for this anticoagulant rodenticide to cause uncontrolled bleeding. That's equivalent to over 20 ounces of d-CON for your dog. Could that small section have weighed so much? I don't believe that there's any reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner if that's not the case. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?