Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Pearl, We recently got a 6 year old female collie, and given

Customer Question
Hello Pearl, We recently...
Hello Pearl, We recently got a 6 year old female collie, and given that in the past we had a big problem with fleas with our previous pets, we want to make sure we are on top of this problem before it starts. Our vet has put her on Sentinel, but I am wondering if it will be effective enough
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the collie's name?
Customer: HEr name is Chelsea. We have a back yard that is backed by a heavily wooded area with lots of deer, raccoons, squirrels, wild cats etc...
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chelsea?
Customer: Her paperwork stated she was go normal for cea, but I do not see any paperwork on sensitivity to medications, she is 72 pounds and otherwise healthy, other than being a fussy eater but that might be due to the change of new home
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your concerns for Chelsea! So are you trying to find out if Sentinel is going to be adequate flea control for her? Just want to be sure I am certain of your question!!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
given that we had an issue with our past dog (passed away last year) we want to make sure this is taken care of right
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Our past dog was a 16 year old German Shepard and did not have the collide medication issue
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am reading about a product called Effitix, it as topical, can it be used together with Sentinel?
Give me a few minutes here to research Effitix, as I haven't heard of it/used it before!!!Are you definitely wanting a topical product, or do you prefer and oral? Or a collar?Do you just need flea protection or tick protection as well?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just want the best flea /tick protection, I do not know if oral or topical is the best, ***** ***** read that the medication in Sentinel that is used for flea control is less effective in non closed environments, which my back yard is
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh darn I need to get back to work, I was on my lunch, if you have any advice I appreciate it very much, my email is***@******.***, thanks so much
Ok. Looks like the product you mentioned contains Fipronil (which is the same product in Frontline) and permethrin. This should be fine to use with the Sentinel. There should not be an issue with her being a Collie, with this medication. Now, with any medication, any dog at all can have a sensitivity we aren't aware of, but there shouldn't be any issue with the MDR1 genetic mutation that is seen sometimes in Collies. It sounds like the group you got her from had her tested for the mutation though and she was negative? So it shouldn't be an issue for her anyway.As far as Sentinel goes, if fleas are a true concern, I do not recommend it as a sole flea control product. The way Sentinel works against fleas is that it stops them from reproducing- they can't lay viable eggs, so it controls the population, but it DOES NOT kill adult fleas, so if a flea hops on your dog, it can bite away as much as it wants, and will not die, it won't be able to make more fleas though. For this reason, I only use it in households where fleas are not at all a concern. Also, Sentinel does contain milbemycin, which is a macrocytic lactone. The macrocytic lactones used in heartworm preventatives are one of the products the dogs with the genetic mutation can be sensitive to, HOWEVER, at the doses used in a heartworm preventative they are safe, so you don't need to fret over this. Here is an article with some information for you: http://www.vetstreet.com/dr-marty-becker/multidrug-sensitivity-what-you-need-to-know.If you prefer an oral to a topical product, I am a big fan of Nexgard. It is a once a month chewable that provides flea and tick prevention that most dogs are a big fan of the flavor. It is more pricey than some of the topicals, so if you prefer a topical, you can use Frontline or if you want to try Effitix, or ask your vet what products they carry and if they have any deals (often times a vet clinic has good deals from the company such as buy 3 months get 1 free that you can't get at the pet store or online).I will be back online later, please reply if you have any additional questions!!!
Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian