Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think my puppy may have taken in some amdro while

Customer Question
outside....She was by an ant...
I think my puppy may have taken in some amdro while outside....She was by an ant pile with amdro on it
JA: I'm sorry that May is feeling poorly. What seems to be the problem with May?
Customer: Oh her name is Dixie
JA: Where does Dixie seem to hurt?
Customer: I think sge may have eaten amdr ant killer
JA: The Veterinarian will know if Dixie will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dixie?
Customer: amdro
JA: Huh?
Customer: She had a vaccine on Sunday, she threw up some food a few minutes ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! According to the MSDS for this product: The acute oral LD in both male and female rats is greater than 5000 mg/kg indicating that this product is practically non-toxic by ingestion in single doses.Depending on how much was ingested, I would advise simply feeding a meal with water added in to absorb the ant bait and monitor for gi upset but from the information I have found it shouldn't have any ill effects on a dog his size if he had a small volume. I would wait 2-4 hours to feed the meal though since there is already vomitingYou can feed white rice and lean boiled meat in small frequent meals to minimize the gi upset along with pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/pound all mixed with water as a precaution but I imagine he will be just finePlease let me know any additional questions I can assist with todayIf you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Symptoms to monitor for: - Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable- Swollen abdomen- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest- Temperature rectally 103.5- No interest in food for 24+ hours- No urination for 12+ hours- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour- Productive coughing- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian