Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 9 year old Cavalier's gums have turned black JA: I'm

Customer Question
my 9 year old Cavalier's...
my 9 year old Cavalier's gums have turned black
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gracie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: heart murmur
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Gracie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Is Gracie sick at all, or is she eating and drinking normally and normally active? What color is her coat? Can you post a picture of her gums? Not all gums are pink; if a dog has a dark coat color, there can be normal dark pigment on the gums and this can change through a dog's life. So this might be perfectly normal. I would need to see it to be sure. Has she had her heart murmur checked out? We worry about heart disease in this breed, and the sooner she is treated the better. I would do at least a chest Xray, or better yet an echocardiogram if I had a Cavalier with a heart murmur. Let me know if this is helpful, and what other of your questions I can answer.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Let me know if this is helpful and if I can answer anything else.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian