Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

First his right eye, he squinted fr several days. Vet found

Customer Question
First his right eye, he...
First his right eye, he squinted fr several days. Vet found nothing wrong with his eyes except cataracts. Vet ordered salve for the eye. Now, about 5 days later, he is sneezing frequently and still squinting. I have given him benadryl and it didn't help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cody, 8 yr old Pom
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cody?
Customer: He is diabetic, on 8 units twice a day. They just increase insulin. He is on a wellness plan, so he is seen regularly.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please tell me if you still need help. Can you tell me the name of the salve, please? Has Cody's cornea been stained with fluoroscein, his intraocular pressure been assessed with a tonometer, and a Schirmer tear test performed? While possible, unilateral squinting (blepherospasm) isn't usually due to an allergy but, instead, trauma, infection, or an intraocular disorder such as uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) or glaucoma. Sneezing can indicate both allergy and infection with infection being the more important differential diagnosis in a diabetic. Infections may have a bacterial, viral, or fungal etiology. Cultures of the conjunctiva of the affected eye should be considered if the salve isn't helpful and a complete ophthalmic exam with an ophthalmoscope reveals nothing untoward. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The salve is Neomycin Polymycin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone. Yes, they did perform the stains in both eyes and the Vet said he has no glaucoma. She also said there is no tear or damage to the cornea and then performed the intraocular pressure test and said it was find. Cody is only squinting his right eye, not both. I would like more help if possible.
Thank you for the additional information. We need to look deeper into Cody's eye for intraocular changes such as cataractous lens luxation (dislocation), uveitis, or diabetic retinopathy. If Cody's vet is uncomfortable or unable to perform such an exam (a slit-lamp is often needed) referral to a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist (please see here: www.acvo.org) who is best equipped to perform such an exam should be considered. Cody's squinting indicates uncontrolled ocular pain. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. ***** did say he could be in pain, but the salve she ordered doesn't contain any pain reducing ingredient, but should help with infection if present, right? My Vet ensured me that the cataracts he has in both eyes are not dislocated and no retinopathy. I am simply lost for answers. I have called to make another appointment with her for tomorrow. Your advice has been very helpful
Correct. The dexamethasone reduces inflammation and, hence, pain. It may not reach effective levels deep inside the globe of the eye, however. A systemic analgesic such as a nonsteroidal antinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam should be considered. I understand your frustration at this time. I believe a careful ophthalmoscopic exam will reveal the source of Cody's pain.I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian