Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My minerature schnauzer just started bleeding from her

Customer Question

my minerature schnauzer just started bleeding from her rectum with her bowel mov ement that isw very runny..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your miniature schnauzer?
Customer: she is never sick and this is the first time for this, she is 5 years old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- Is she lethargic? 3- Any vomiting? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she had some vomiting but no change in her diet that i know of.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Is she lethargic? 2- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she had some vomiting but no change ion diet.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Is she lethargic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is not letharic
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when we see blood in the stool with diarrhea it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. The vomiting is caused by any of the above mentioned diseases.To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands on examination by family veterinarian. In the meantime this is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2 mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter