Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog got dropped by my child yesterday from about 4 foot up and now she will not walk on her hind leg. It's just kind of

Customer Question
She got dropped by my...
She got dropped by my child yesterday from about 4 foot up and now she will not walk on her hind leg. It's just kind of limp. Not swollen.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is not. She whines when I move her leg at the hip.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxy and she is only 6 weeks old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxy?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also she has been lethargic since it happened.
5/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 1 year ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.So she's painful if you move it up high?What breed is she?Do you know what part of her body hit the ground first?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't seem to bother her if I move it upwards, but if I move it down or away from her body she whines. She's a beagle mix. And I think her back, but it happened so quickly I'm not positive.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she will stretch it out when laying down but barely.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.So my big concern here based on how she hit the ground (we think) and how she acts when you move her leg in a specific way, is that she could have a broken hip or pelvis.In these really young puppies, it doesn't take much to break those bones, and a fall from 4 feet up could absolutely do it.If this were me, I would have her seen by a vet. They'll take an x-ray to see if there is a fracture going on. Hopefully it's nothing too serious, but having it addressed sooner, rather than later, is going to be the key to a full recovery.I hope this helps.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's what I was afraid of, but was hoping not since she is trying to move it. Guess I'll be scheduling a vet appointment today.
That's the problem with these little pups...they're so fragile, but don't know it!I'll keep my fingers crossed for nothing too serious.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech