Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 10 year old corgi had a cluster of seizures 2 weeks ago.

Customer Question
he stayed in the hospital...
My 10 year old corgi had a cluster of seizures 2 weeks ago. he stayed in the hospital overnight and then we took him to our regular vet. He has not had a seizure since that we know of. He however showing multiple signs of having a brain tumor. Without a MRI we wont know for sure. We will not be getting a MRI its just too expensive. My question is if indeed my baby has a brain tumor how long will he have to suffer or better yet when does his quality of life diminish. We dont want him in any pain. It seems now that he has no idea whats happening and cant understand why he has started trembling badly. He has become so fearful. He used to love the car ride and the beach but now he seems very uncomfortable. What can we do? And can it be anything else that effecting him. Bloodwork was normal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about Scrappy's situation. How long has he been on the Kepra? Was this cluster seizure 2 weeks ago the first ever seizures he's had?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 weeks ago saturday and yes this was his first time having seizures. At the hospital they had him on keppra but several days later the neurologist changed it to phenobarbital but it was quickly changed back to keppra because his liver enzmes was slighly high
Thank you for that information. Could he be in the "adjustment" phase of these medications? Sometimes they can be off as they get started on the medications. Could things start to improve? That is the unknown. I absolutely understand your situation of not pursuing the MRI. It is a pretty expensive diagnostic (but very good) tool that can help to definitively give an answer. With brain tumors, it doesn't seem that they have pain with them. More than anything, what is watched for is their overall quality of life. With his seizures seeming to be controlled at this point, the best thing that you can do is to continue to give him time, attention and care to see if he can regain the same physical / mental capacity that he had before all this. As his body gets further out from the cluster event, could things improve? That is definitely a hope. One thing that some get started on empirically are steroids to see what potential effect that may have on them. For some, it can improve their overall quality as it can have some minor anti-neoplastic effects on a potential brain tumor.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian