Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 13 yr old male maltese neutered at 1yr old fine

Customer Question
health up to 10 yrs...
I have a 13 yr old male maltese neutered at 1yr old fine health up to 10 yrs old when he was diagnosis low thyroid after 1 month on pills retested and increased to 11/2 pills daily, he started to get lethargic and drinking lots of water losing hair the vet seemed think I should continue, I couldn't he was in a very bad way, he was dying I cut the pills down to 1 pill a day within months he returned to good health. 6 months ago he started to eating heavily stealing cat food and drinking more, still trusting my vet I took him back after blood test and xray vet came back liver extremely swollen maybe cusings and low thyroid readings, I treated it with milk thisle and wellness remedy it's getting worse last week vet gave that 8 hour test confirmed cushings but said liver disease prevented vetroyl treatment so it's a matter of time.. I need help for him. is there any
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am sorry to hear about Bingo. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Do you have a copy of the blood tests, so I could see his liver numbers? In addition to milk thistle, SAMe is a good liver anti oxidant. I like a product called Denamarin that contains both SAMe and the active ingredient in milk thistle. If he cannot take Vetoryl, you could try melatonin (available over the counter) for his Cushing's. Start at 3 mg twice daily. There is a homeopathic product called Cushex drops that help some dogs with Cushing's symptoms. Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will get the copies to you of tests and x-ray it's will take a few days. You recommended 3 different products, melatonin is for sleep ? he sleeps constantly, Denamarin should I give him this ASAP ! . Cushex drops, use them along with or instead of.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian