Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a bijon frise- he had a small cyst like lump on his

Customer Question
I have a bijon frise-...
I have a bijon frise- he had a small cyst like lump on his back. It was just the skin, for a long time and it never bothered him. I came home from work last week and the cyst was literally gone off his back and it was scabbing-over. The scab was itchy, and that itching passed. Today he suddenly is going mad with itching. I need something I can do to relieve him of the maddening itching and his whining while trying to scratch it (unsuccessfully) until I can get him to a vet tomorrow. Is there something over-the-counter I can use?
JA: I'm sorry but I'm not sure we have an expert who covers what you are looking for. Maybe if you give me more details I will find you a connection to someone who can help you.
Customer: I have a bijon frise- he had a small cyst like lump on his back. It was just the skin, for a long time and it never bothered him. I came home from work last week and the cyst was literally gone off his back and it was scabbing-over. The scab was itchy, and that itching passed. Today he suddenly is going mad with itching. I need something I can do to relieve him of the maddening itching and his whining while trying to scratch it (unsuccessfully) until I can get him to a vet tomorrow. Is there something over-the-counter I can use?
JA: I'm sorry but I'm not sure we have an expert who covers what you are looking for. Maybe if you give me more details I will find you a connection to someone who can help you.
Customer: I need something to relieve itching on a scab until I can get him to a vet during non-emergency hours.
JA: I can help you talk to the doctor. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. How can we help?
Customer: Is there anything that I can topically use to apply to my dogs back to relieve itching until I can get him to a vet tomorrow
JA: OK. The doctor will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the doctor can help you best.
Customer: my Bichon had a skin cyst on his back for about a year
JA: Is there anything else important you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I think the cyst burst and scabbed over - it was a small cyst the size of a dime and only skin involved
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: it scabbed-over..... so it was a non-emergency
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My dog is just so uncomfortably; frantically pacing and whining, I'm constantly tripping over him. He is terribly uncomfortable. It seems to be an insatiable itch. If I can just get him some relief until tomorrow when I take him into the vet.
5/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you. The first thing you want to do is to clean it well. A warm water flush should be sufficient. After it is clean and dry, a topical antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin can be applied. In many cases, that is enough to provide relief. If it still is itchy, a topical over the counter steroid containing product may be needed and can be alternated with the antibiotic ointment. The product called Cortaid contains hydro-cortisone and should provide relief until you can have him evaluated by your vet. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian