Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Orphaned 3 week old pups dropped at local shelter. We

Customer Question
brought home. 2 of three...
Orphaned 3 week old pups dropped at local shelter. We brought home. 2 of three are doing well. One is seriously bloated and yelping. Shelter told me to feed one small bottle of progestinamil mixed with canned puppy food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: They don't have names yet . Just tag numbers through our shelter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Yet?
Customer: They are said to be 3 weeks old. Feeding every 4 hrs . I am stimulating to go to the potty
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, as pups do have very specific nutrition requirements, you would be best to put these pups onto a puppy specific replacer milk (ie Royal Canin Puppy Milk Replacer, etc). Otherwise to counter this bloating and discomfort, we'd want to make sure we are adequately being stimulated to toilet (you can see how to do so HERE).Otherwise, especially with this sore lad, we'd want to take some further steps. First, since this sounds like constipation or a milk blockage, we'd want to start watering down the feeds. You can do this with water or an electrolyte solution (ie Lectaid, unflavoured Pedialyte). Further to this, consider adding a small dose of cathair ball treatment to his feeds. This will lubricate the gut and help get things moving. This can be used until we have regular passing of feces. Finally, since they've come from an unknown background, you may want to discuss worming with the shelter. If a pup has a severe worm burden, they can end up with blockage signs from the worms obstructing the gut. To tackle this, these pups are old enough for Panacur wormer and that can be used to ensure that isn't causing these signs. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian