Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What can I give my dog ?

Customer Question
what can I give my...
what can I give my dog for constipation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not want to pay for advice
Hello again Holly, I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. If your dog is constipated then yes you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a dog of your one's size would be in the region of 5 ml twice a day orally. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product. 2. Another option is that also on a home remedy basis one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try two tablespoons twice a day for a dog of your one's size.3. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it will often quickly respond to the above common sense sort of treatment. 4. But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or other serious conditions, this of course is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the constipation problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian