Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is vomiting week. He was prescribed flagyl by vet but

Customer Question
My dog is vomiting for...
My dog is vomiting for a week. He was prescribed flagyl by vet but it seems to made his vomiting worst. Now he has no appetite and is not willing to eat anything for the past 24 hrs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nope that we recall
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 3yr old, Rocko
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocko?
Customer: Vet also gave him enzyme for suspected EPI
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did Rocko have any x-rays done? Did your veterinarian do any blood work?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, we didn't want to do bloodworm or imaging yet.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Blood work
Okay thanks for the additional information. Was he having diarrhea as well? With the continued vomiting I would definitely recommend that he has x-rays as soon as possible. I would want to rule out any type of foreign body or anything else before he becomes dehydrated from not eating and vomiting. Blood work would be helpful as well to confirm if he in fact has EPI.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What should I feed him?
Does he vomit every time you feed him? If he is unable to keep anything down, then you may not be able to feed him at all without him first getting medication to stop the vomiting. Otherwise you would normally feed a bland diet such as boiled chicken and rice if he is willing to eat.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does flagyl make vomiting worst if he's not eating much? Should I continue to give it to him?
Most antibiotics if given on a empty stomach may cause an increase in stomach upset that may show as vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite. Usually in most cases of vomiting it is probably better not to give anything by mouth unless that is an anti-vomiting medication given first.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian