Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog was AF, She was adopted from the shelter Wednesday after spay surgery. She had only been there doe a DAY. She is a 2

Customer Question
She was AF JA: I'll do...
She was AF
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She was adopted from the shelter Wednesday after spay surgery. She had only been there doe a DAY. She is a 2 year old wheaten terrier. She was in heat at the time of surgery. She wouldn't eat and finally yesterday I got her to eat 1/2 cup of wellness core dog food and she had diarrhea. She doesn't do anything but sleep all day and night.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the terrier. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Ellen
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ellen?
Customer: That's the problem we don't know anything about her and neither does the shelter. Also she wouldn't eat kibble she ate a little of food I made her and then a little of can food
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Apologies there, the website had a wee error there. Let me repost my questions to you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see anything
Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Can she keep water down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?What did her diarrhea look like?
Thank you, ***** ***** await your check, since her gum color is quite important for us to gauge if we have an issue related to a spay complication.Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pink
Thank you,That is great news! If they had been pale/white, we'd have been concerned about a bleed leading to appetite loss and weakness. With that aside and give her lack of appetite and diarrhea, we'd be more concerned that this is an opportunistic gut infection taking advantage of her immune system being distracted with healing. With this all in mind, since she isn't actively vomiting but sounds nauseous, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and reduce diarrhea too. Whichever you choose, you can also add canned pumpkin to bulk her stools up quicker. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Finally, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.Overall, this sounds like a gut infection is bombarding Ellen's immune system. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours (since she needs to be eating to support healing); then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti nausea medication, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am sorry I forgot to mention since as whop and hook worms. She got three doses of panacour this week
Hi again,That usually won't cause these signs (Panacur is used in tiny pups its so mild). So, that is good for us to rule out worms, but not likely the cause of her current signs.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK you mean like ratovirus
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The house she came from had a lot of dogs. They actually surrender a number of dogs when they did Ellen
Hi again,Rotavirus is one concern but there are a lot of viruses and bacteria that can cause these signs. Many respond to supportive care and the bacteria to antibiotics; but we do need to monitor her as we support her.Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks so much!
You are very welcome. :)All the best,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me –I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards,I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the"Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian