Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My boxer ate a bunch of tamales with the corn husks a couple

Customer Question
days ago and threw up...
My boxer ate a bunch of tamales with the corn husks a couple days ago and threw up some cornhusk then had diarrhea now keeps going under my bed and whining? Will he need surgery
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today. How many days ago did he eat these?Any vomiting sice the first time?Is he eating? Can he keep food down?Any belly pain or tensing?Are his gums pink or pale?Does the diarrhea appear black or completely liquid?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello. My name is ***** ***** two yr old boxer Romeo ate at least six tamales with the corn husks by the time I noticed what he did it was too late . So last Wednesday night this happened and he vomitted afterwards and tried to get it out and was successful getting two or three whole corn husks out but since then he has had diarrhea watery he is still drinking and eating but I'm feeding him chicken and rice canned IAMS dog food he normally eats blue Alaska organic dry food and mix canned sometimes. Yes he keeps food down but he has been sleeping under my bed and whimpering and he only does that if he is sick I have touched his belly it doesn't feel hard and he doesn't flinch in pain gums are pink but why the diarrhea still and wimpering
Thank you Jennifer, Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we do have a few concerns here. First, the husks raise concerns as they can act as a blockage if not fully digested. Though with what signs you noted, I would be more concerned that he may have a secondary pancreatitis or gastroenteritis from this. Both could cause gut discomfort, diarrhea and pancreatitis is known to be quite painful. And I would note that since these are making him feel very unwell, the hiding isn’t unexpected since he will be feeling quite vulnerable and poorly. Therefore, we do need to tread with care with Romeo. If he is very sore, we’d want him to his vet urgently for gut safe pain relief +/- injectable anti-nausea medication and antibiotics. Otherwise, at the very least we would want to counter any lurking nausea here with an OTC antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), etc). Afterwards, we’d want to continue your bland diet or you could also use boiled white fish or scrambled egg with the rice for the next few days. This is easy to digest and should help with both conditions and reduce his diarrhea load. Further to this though, do consider adding some fiber (ie spoonful of canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will encourage any husk material to move through the GI and bulk up his stool. Furthermore, since the stool is so loose and we do want to bulk it up (as opposed to slowing gut transit), we can also use a dog safe anti-diarrhea like OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Otherwise and especially advisable here to restore normal gut microflora (good gut bacteria), Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber would be another good option. These are all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon. Finally, while we are trying to counter his diarrhea, we’ll want to also keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray. As well, we’d want him checked if he starts getting dehydrated with this.Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. Romeo’s signs do suggest a few concerns. So, we’d want to help any remaining husks pass and start the above supportive care to slow the diarrhea and counter any mild pancreatitis. Of course, if you try this and he isn’t starting to improve in the next 24 hours or has any of those signs; we’d want to have him seen by his vet. They can determine which issue is present here and start injectable treatment to counter any pancreatitis and get him settled. All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian