Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog suddenly is having a hard time getting up, is leaking…

Customer Question
My dog suddenly is having...
My dog suddenly is having a hard time getting up, is leaking urine and has been taking Proen for it. She missed a few doses and is now back on it. Will her symptoms get better now or should she be seen?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. In regards ***** ***** question, if she has been restarted on the Proin, then her urinary signs may improve once it reaches a therapeutic level again. That said, If she is struggling to get up, that could contribute to her accidents. Furthermore, that isn't likely linked to her incontinence directly and would be a concern of its own.Therefore, if she I severely struggling, we'd be best to have her seen. Her vet can determine if this is being triggered by injury, arthritis, nerve or spinal issues. Depending on their findings, you may want them to start her on a dog safe anti-inflammatory like Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, or Previcox.Otherwise, just in the meantime, I would note that if she is older than she may benefit from being put onto a joint supplement. Specifically, we often find glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in dogs with mild signs and could just help her regain some mobility. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lass until she can be seen by her vet. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet