Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She is squinting and closing her eyes JA: I'm sorry to hear

Customer Question

She is squinting and closing her eyes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hemma and she is about 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hemal?
Customer: She is a little overweight
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she been doing so?

Any discharges? What color?

Any haze/clouding of the eyeball itself?

Any history of trauma or getting anything in her eyes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, nothing like that. She was playing with our baby chi the last time I saw her and then I realize that she was having trouble. I went online and saw that some people with the same problem used a drop of systane. She just woke up and she seems to be much better but still scratching her left eye . Not squinting as much though
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that she has improved with the Systane, but do be careful which one you are using. The plain lubricating eye preparations are fine but any noted for "getting the red out" should be avoided.

That aside, if her signs started after playing, we'd have to be wary of possible corneal injury (ie laceration, ulcers, etc) but also possible foreign body material (ie dirt, grit, etc). In that case, we do need to tread with care. Instead, of the Systane, we'd want to consider flushing the eye with sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. These are eye safe and can be used as needed to flush out irritants, soothe the eye, and reduce any bacteria present. Otherwise, if she is rubbing, you may need to use an e-collar from your local pet store to block her access. This is quite important since dogs can often turn mild irritations into ulcers from their rubbing.

Finally, if she isn't settling with flushing and since eyes are so delicate, we'd really want to see her vet once they are open. They will be able to stain the eye to ensure there is no signs of eye damage that may need further treatment to allow the eye to heal and settle these signs for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great response and very helpful. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the plain Systane, I'll buy what you suggested and try it. Thank you so much for all your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad it was and you can use it after flushing her eyes.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

All the best,

Dr. B.