Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Sudden appearance of lump on mid back next to spine no bite

Customer Question

Sudden appearance of lump on mid back next to spine no bite feels like fatty tumor but she's a puppy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Blondee
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blondie?
Customer: Just spayed and shots and micro chipped one week ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear that Blondee has a firm lump next to her spine that appeared suddenly.Given her history of a recent spay, vaccines being given and a microchip inserted this may be a fibrous injection reaction.Some dogs will have an inflammatory response to a particular vaccine, pain relief, or antibiotic injection as it is seen as foreign material by the body. Most commonly we see them with Rabies vaccines or the rattlesnake vaccine. We see firm swellings, usually a few days to a few weeks after the vaccine. Usually by warm compressing them they resolve on their own over time. If the swelling becomes larger, is painful, she runs a fever or the lump ruptures open or isn't resolving then she should see her veterinarian. If you want to be sure that is what this lump is or the lump seems at all painful she should see her veterinarian and have this lump aspirated to look for signs of infection. If infection is present the abscesses should be lanced and drained and she should be on antibiotics. If this lump looks like an inflammatory granuloma on aspiration then an anti-inflammatory can be prescribed to hasten its resolution. Very rarely these can become cancerous so if it isn't resolving it should be removed surgically. I would call your veterinarian and let them know about her lump even if you choose to take a watchful approach. If there are several complaints about a particular vaccine perhaps there was a manufacturing problem that caused the reaction you are seeing, and the only way the manufacturer will know is if reports are made.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how you decided to proceed with your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****