Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog Grace is a two year old yellow Labrador who weighs

Customer Question

Our dog Grace is a two year old yellow Labrador who weighs 89 pounds. We had her spade on Thursday, May 12th. She did very well until Sunday May 15th and the incision broke open. We took her back to the clinic on Monday, May 16th where they sutured the incision and gave us pain medication and antibiotics even though she was showing no signs of infection. She seemed to be doing well until last night when she developed a "gagging cough". She coughs deeply, then gags and sounds like she brings something up. She spit up a couple times on the carpet and it was clear and mucus like. We thought maybe she had something stuck in her throat. My husband put his finger down her throat as far as he could and didn't feel anything obstruction. Should we be concerned about her cough? Is it caused by the surgery or antibiotics? She's not eating very well either.
Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.I am sorry to hear that Grace has had such a bumpy recovery.Now in regards ***** ***** cough, we do have a few concerns. Our main ones would be that she has throat irritation from the breathing tube she had in during her procedures or that she has a secondary upper airway infection. And while the antibiotics could upset her stomach, they’d not cause the cough.Now since she is on antibiotics, we’d hope that these would also settle any infectious cause for her cough. Though you may want to check with her vet to ensure they have used one that will. Otherwise, to reduce and soothe this cough, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. Finally, since her poor appetite may be due to the antibiotics upsetting her stomach, I’d suggest trying her on a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Overall, her could does raise a few concerns. So, we’d want to ensure those antibiotics will address any infectious causes while using the above to soothe her throat and help keep her eating for us.Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.