Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has skin and rawness at her tail. She has been

Customer Question
rubbing it and it now...
my dog has skin and rawness at her tail. She has been rubbing it and it now is missing hair and bloody
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Poor Sugar!First, I would note that, we do need to be wary of an allergy or a possible bacterial infection (pyoderma). Both can be very irritating and can cause dogs to rub themselves raw.Now there are some steps we can take to help soothe her skin and try to get this healing. To start, you need to block her access to this area. If it is just her tail base, then a pair of boxer shorts (turned backwards for a tail hole) can usually cover this area to protect it from self-trauma while still letting the area breathe and dry out. Otherwise, we may need to use an e-collar +/- put socks on her feet if she is chewing or scratching too so that we can break this cycle of skin damage. Since we have an open lesion, we will want to wash that 2-3 times daily with a antiseptic like dilute chlorohexidine or salt water. Afterwards, make sure to pat the area dry and you can also apply an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) twice daily to counter the infection. And to reduce her irritation, you can alternate this with OTC hydrocortisone cream as well. Finally, since these situations often have an underlying allergy component, you can also try to reduce the itch with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Overall, it sounds like we have severe irritation likely due to an allergy and may also have a brewing bacterial pyoderma (or at leat an open lesion at risk) but her continue self trauma is preventing you settling this. Therefore, we’d want to add in the above to help you soothe that itch and get a handle on this for her And if we cannot do so due to its severity, then we’d be at a stage where we’d want her local vet to start a course of antibiotics and steroids to help get her back to normal for you. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
How is everything going with your wee one?Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian