Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I AM NORMA GARDEZI, AND I HAVE A FEMALE TOY AUSTRALIAN

Customer Question
HELLO... I AM NORMA GARDEZI...
HELLO... I AM NORMA GARDEZI, AND I HAVE A FEMALE TOY AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD THAT HAS GONE INTO HEAT SINCE LONG. SHE STARTED BLEEDING LASTNIGHT BUT TODAY THE BLEEDING HAS BECOME VERY HEAVY AND PERIODICALLY SHE IS ACTING LIKE SHE IS PUSHING. SHE IS 12 YEARS OLD AND IS NOT PREGNANT... IS THIS NORMAL ??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about Angel's heavy bleeding and straining, lack of appetite and increased drinking.This does not sound like a normal heat cycle.An increased vaginal discharge can indicate endometritis, which is due to a thickened, abnormal uterine lining. This isn't necessarily dangerous for her, but it does indicate that she likely has abnormal fertility because of her thickened uterine lining. Another reason for an increased discharge can be a uterine infection called a pyometra. Pyometras can rupture, causing peritonitis and/or the infection can spread to her other organs leading to abscesses in her kidneys, liver spleen and even her heart valves. The toxic metabolites from the infection can affect her appetite and cause her to drink lots of water as the infection progresses.Early on the symptoms of an open pyometra and endometritis can be very similar as long as the pyometra is draining. That is because if the infection is draining she may not feel the effects of the bacterial toxins as quickly as if the infection was closed in and the toxin levels build up more quickly in her uterus and bloodstream.Antibiotics alone do not work to treat a pyometra as they have poor penetration into an infection filled uterus and do not address the pool of infectious material and toxins in her uterus. We sometimes use prostaglandin injections and combination antibiotics in dogs that owners want to breed another time, but the success rate is variable. And even if it works if she isn't bred successfully on the next heat the chances of the infection returning are very high. At her age it is unlikely that she would be a good candidate for breeding anyway.Ideally she would see her veterinarian for an examination and to check her vaginal discharge to try and differentiate between endometritis and an early pyometra. The sooner that she is examined the better as if this is a pyometra the sooner that is addressed the better chance she has of doing well. Treatment for a pyometra is stabilizing her with intravenous fluids and antibiotics and surgery to remove the infected uterus. The longer that you wait the more opportunity this infection has to spread and the more difficult it will be to save her.If she seems to feel great otherwise I recommend that you have her seen as soon as possible by her regular veterinarian. Even if this is endometritis I would recommend having her spayed after this heat cycle as she has an abnormal uterus.If however her appetite is off and she seems to be drinking more water then usual, or is running a fever (rectal temperature greater then 103F), or she has very pale colored gums then this probably should not wait long, she should be seen by veterinarian as soon as possible on an emergency basis. But as long as she isn't vomiting, she's not running a fever, and her gum color remains a nice bubblegum pink then she can see her veterinarian tomorrow morning. Try and keep her as quiet as possible.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am so afraid that something will happen to her before I can find help for her. I have been crying most of the day because I am disabled and have no money. WHAT CAN I DO OR WHERE CAN I FIND HELP.... SHE HAS BEEN DRINKING WATER A LOT AND SPITTING SOME OF IT BACK UP. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO.. I LOVE HER SO MUCH
I am so sorry, she sounds pretty sick.I would limit her water tonight to small amounts every hour. If she drinks too much that will cause her to vomit, and then she will feel more dehydrated and want to drink more.At home tonight to help with nausea you can give either: Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursORPrilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and might help her feel better. These are just to treat the symptom of nausea, and are not a true treatment for her real problem, but they may help her feel better until you can find someone to help her. They are fairly safe and can be used as needed for now.Keep her very quiet tonight. In the morning start looking for help right away. There are groups that will help, but it may take some detective work on your part to find them.If your regular veterinarian is beyond your means financially now your other option is to contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help:http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_stateOther sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful I would appreciate an update on your pet, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Angel. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian