Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

WOULD YOU ALWAYS TAKE BLOOD PRESSURE BEFORE PRESCRIBING

Customer Question

WOULD YOU ALWAYS TAKE BLOOD PRESSURE BEFORE PRESCRIBING MEDICATION SUCH AS ENALAPRIL?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo, a licensed veterinarian with more than 20 years of experience. I'm happy to discuss your question in more detail, but the quick answer is no. In fact, most of the time when enalapril is prescribed, the blood pressure isn't checked. We use enalapril primarily to treat congestive heart failure, not hypertension. It would never hurt to check a BP, but it is not the standard of care. Please let me know if you would like to discuss this further. If you are satisfied with the answer I've provided, please remember to rate my response so I may receive credit for helping you. Thank you for using our website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IF DOG WASN'T IN CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE WOULD YOU CHECK IT?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
This is a difficult question to answer because I wouldn't prescribe enalapril for a dog not in congestive heart failure. We don't routinely check blood pressures on dogs at physical exams.About the only time we check blood pressure on a healthy dog is during anesthesia/surgery. Hypertension is not a common illness in dogs, so we don't tend to do a very good job screening for it. That means the answer to your question is no. Blood pressure is not typically checked on a dog not in congestive heart failure.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
In fact, many veterinary clinics do not routinely measure blood pressure on any of their patients because they don't have the necessarily skills or equipment. It's a completely different situation than what we see in human medicine.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Does this help to answer your question? I'm happy to discuss this further if you would like to let me know more about your situation. I want to be as helpful as possible in providing you with the information you are looking for. Is something going on with your dog?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Just checking in to ask how things are going with your dog. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

durangojo