Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog has had diarrhea since fri when changed food when we got

Customer Question

Dog has had diarrhea since fri when changed food when we got up today went to take her outside to potty and it was like her back legs had fallen asleep. She has been real lethargic most of day she did get up and seem to be fine for about an hour but then back to the same
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Has her diarrhea been profuse? Any blood?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?What pain pill did you give? How much (mg)? How much does Snoopy weigh?Was she weak in her back legs before or after you gave this pill?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,Now I have not heard back from you but do want to leave my thoughts about Snoopy. Especially as I am concerned about her severity of signs, as well as the pain pill you gave (since non-steroidal anti-inflammatories would be unwise to use for her).In any case, if you did change her diet quickly, this could certainly cause the signs we are seeing. And if she has had diarrhea over this length of time, then we’d assume that back leg episode is related to her being dehydrated and potentially low on blood glucose and electrolytes (since anything she eats is running right through her). Therefore, we need to be proactive to stop her diarrhea and counter those losses. Now just to note, while a quick diet change is a concern, I do want to mention some other differentials we may have to consider. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). In any case, no matter which of the above is present, we can start some supportive care for her. To start, we’d want to put her onto a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. Whichever you choose, you can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, etc) to these meals to help bulk up her stools and slow her diarrhea quicker. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. Since dehydration is a risk with these weakness signs we are seeing, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Further to checking her hydration, we need to support it. Therefore, we do want to ensure she is drinking well. You can offer fresh water but also try her with unflavored Pedialyte (you can give it by itself, mixed with her water, or with low salt chicken broth). Or if she isn’t drinking as well as she should, you can consider syringing fluids. Again we can use the Pedialyte or there are OTC vet options (ie Lectaid, Resorb, etc). Whichever you use, she needs to be taking in a daily fluid volume of 48ml per kilogram of her weight plus an amount to match her diarrhea losses. Though if she is drinking a bit, you can remove that volume from the above daily total and just plan to syringe feed the difference over the day. Finally, we’d also want to consider starting pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria (ideal if a quick diet switch was to blame). So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing but diet changes can be a common cause of this. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, has any more of these suspect weakness episodes, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with fluids, +/- antibiotics or anti-protozoal treatments to address any findings, settle her diarrhea, and get her back feeling like herself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )