Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My newly adopted dog has an infection. Elevated WBC and

Customer Question
Hi - my newly adopted...
Hi - my newly adopted dog has an infection. Elevated WBC and goopy noes. He's on doxy and has has 4 doses (2 days) his mucus is clearer (not great) but he's still uncomfortable and panting. I
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: wondering if I can give him tramadol too?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he's 11
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
His name is ***** *****'s 11 and I just got him Sunday. His owner died he has not had care for atlas 8 months. Liver and kidney values look good. WBC was 26,000. Doxy was started Monday and he's showing some improvement but panting and uncomfortable. Wonder if Tramadol would be ok so he can get some rest
5/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now this isn't an uncommon situation in our recently adopted dogs, since often the combination of stress and shared airspace in a shelter leads to dogs catching upper airway infectious agents. In this case, its positive to hear that the discharge has already become clear since that tells us that the Doxycycline is fighting off the infection. That said, we do need to give it more time to totally settle the infection.Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** his panting/discomfort, I would not recommend Tramadol. It can sedate them and if he is panting because he needs to work to get oxygen in, sedation could compromise that. Instead, it would be better to ring his vet for a dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Previcox, Rimadyl) since those would rule out pain but also reduce nasal inflammation to help him breathe better. Further to that, they can also dispense dog safe decongestants and/or bronchodilators to again ease his signs.Finally, there is some home care that could be used with Chance. To start, if he is panting and perhaps congested, we can plan to steam treat him. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer. Though since they often don’t tend to like things held up to their faces, you could make him a little 'steam tent’ with your wee one in a carrier/dog crate, the nebulizer/humidifier next to it, and then cover both with a thin bed sheet. You could also do this in a small room. Furthermore, you can use non medicated saline nasal drops (ie Little noses, Ocean Mist) to further reduce discharge build up and flush out the nasal passage. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. Afterwards, wipe away any discharge or crust with a damp cotton ball.Overall, it does sound like he is on the right track with this. Though we'd not really want to risk sedating him if he is panting and struggling. Instead, it'd be safer to use the above home care and then obtain those other treatments from his vet. If he settles with that, we are happy. But if his signs linger or he really struggles to oxygenate, we may need to consider an xray to make sure this infection isn't spreading to his lungs. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian