Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

JA: . What is your issue regarding? Customer:

Customer Question
Hello, JA: Hello. What is your...
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Our dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Our five month old lab mix had kennel cough (we adopted him from the shelter last week). We took him to the vet and they gave him an antibiotic. He's been doing better for a couple days, but today he's wheezing.
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tucker
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tucker?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now this isn't an uncommon situation in our recently adopted dogs, since often the combination of stress and shared airspace in a shelter leads to dogs catching upper airway infectious agents. Now your vet was right to put I onto an antibiotic but if Tucker is worsening and wheezing, we need to tread with care. Its possible that we have another issue causing the wheeze (ie foreign bodies in the nasal passage, etc) but it could also be a sign of this infection spreading into the lungs.With this in mind, if he is really struggling, then we'd want to have him rechecked at this point. His vet can listen to his lungs and if needed xray them. If there are signs of pneumonia while he is under for xray, they can take an airway sample to culture what is present and ensure the antibiotics they are using are effective. So, that would be our next step if he is suddenly seeming worse.Otherwise, I do want to note some supportive care we can try to soothe his signs. To start, you can try to reduce any congestion with steam treatment. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer. Though since they often don’t tend to like things held up to their faces, you could make him a little 'steam tent’ with your wee one in a carrier/dog crate, the nebulizer/humidifier next to it, and then cover both with a thin bed sheet. You could also do this in a small room. Furthermore, you can use non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. Afterwards, wipe away any discharge or crust with a damp cotton ball. Finally, if he still has a cough, you can soothe his cough with a mild cough suppressant. Often we will use non-medicated honey+glycerin cough syrup or even plain honey as needed. Alternatively use Robitussin DM but you must take care not to use one with cold medication added to it. It will take some label reading, but do avoid any syrups with cold medications in (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen or any human cold medications since many are toxic for dogs), you just want one to lubricate and soothe the throat. When using Robitussin DM, we tend to give 1 milligram per pound of their body weight every 8 hours. Overall, if he is suddenly wheezing then we do want to be careful here. So, we can start the above to try to soothe his signs, but if they linger a recheck +/- an xray would be ideal to ensure we don't have a brewing pneumonia and that we are treating it as effectively as possible.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian