Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just brought my 9 1/2 week old puppy home last night. He

Customer Question
I just brought my 9...
I just brought my 9 1/2 week old puppy home last night. He ate fine then but today after taking him to the vet and getting a bordetella vaccine he drinks very little and won't eat. The vet suggested I bring him back for them to take a look. They gave him a benadryl injection as well as an injection to settle his tummy. It's been 5 hours ago and he still wants nothing to do with eating. He hasn't eaten hardly anything all day today. Could he be missing his siblings and surroundings or do you think this is a reaction from the oral bordetalla vaccine. He was fine before I took him to the Vet and he got this vaccine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. I am very sorry to hear that your lad has gone off his food after the vaccination. Now the Benadryl he had won't settle his stomach but is used to counter any allergic reaction. So, if his vet didn't give anything else to actually soothe his stomach, I'd suggest doing so now. Since he is very small, our best option would be to use OTC Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid). Otherwise, his vet should be able to dispense a low dose Zantac liquid or a strong anti-nausea option (ie Cerenia, Metoclopramide, Zofran, etc). This will actually soothe the stomach and should help get him eating. Though if he was particularly resistant, the vet should be able to also dispense an apetite stimulant. Whichever you use, once his stomach is more settled, you can plan to tempt him with a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). Or if he cannot be tempted, we could syringe feed with water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned puppy food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Dogsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in.Overall, he is likely a wee bit stressed with all this recent life change. Though if he was eating before his vet visit, I do suspect that he has some GI upset from the vaccine. So, we'd want to use the above to try to counter that and get him eating before he gets weak from this self-starvation. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian