Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He is a 12 year old rat terrier. He recently (March 5th) had

Customer Question
He is a 12 year...
He is a 12 year old rat terrier. He recently (March 5th) had tumors removed from his stomach and under arms. He was moving rather well. Then new tumors seemed to "slide" down to his stomach. He started moving slower but it doesn't look like it is because of the fatty tumors. The last few weeks he has trouble getting up from a lying position after lying a length of time. Once up, he "gets loose" and moves around fine. Once "loose", he seems to be able to get up, though it is still slowly.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the rat terrier?
Customer: He may be overweight . . . he was always close to 27-30 pounds but has gained up to 36-38 after the surgery. He seems to sleep more during the day.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help. Usually when dogs have pain or mobility difficultly that the seem to 'warm out of' it is joint/arthritis related. The joints get stiff when they sleep and then loosen up when they get moving and the joints warm up. The discomfort that we see with soft tissues (anything other than bones or joints) tends to improve with rest and get worse the more they move around. I suspect that the tumors that he had have little to do with what is going on now. I'm wondering if this is just all arthritis. And arthritis can definitely be made worse by weight gain. Ideally I would get some xrays taken to confirm that this is just arthritis, but other things that you can do to help include trying to get him to lose weight. You have to cut his calories to do this. I would reduce his dog food by 25%. That sounds like a lot, but it is going to help him to lose weight. You can also start some glucosamine. The benefit of glucosamine is not immediate, but I do think it helps. You can also ask your veterinarian to prescribe some arthritis medication which usually works fast and well.I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please don't forget to rate my answer.
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian