Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Not sure JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with

Customer Question
Not sure JA: I'll do all...
Not sure
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She seems preg I but she is spayed I think
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Not so much hurt but her tummy is larger and feels like a sack or something insode. It's cold
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Honey and I dunno
JA: How old is Honey?
Customer: I saved her a few weeks ago from a busy intersection
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Honey?
Customer: Notified shelter but nothing from her owners
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are u there
5/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now as you will appreciate, if she has been spayed (where the uterus is removed), she cannot get pregnant. Of course, if the shelter wasn’t sure, then it is possible or we could have a uterine infection.Otherwise, if you are seeing distension and it feels like fluid inside, this raises other concerns. Specifically, if she was injured when you found her, this could be a sign of internal bleeding or abdominal infection (less likely if she isn’t feeling very poorly). But also something we can see with heart disease, liver disease, and when dogs have cancer (where distension can be from the cancer or due to secondary fluid accumulation). Finally, if she has potentially had severe diarrhea or a severe worm burden, these could cause protein imbalances in the blood leading to fluid building up.With all these in mind, we do need to tread with care. In her case, it’d be ideal to have her local vet palpate her belly +/- ultrasound. That way they can see inside and determine which of these issues is present. Depending on that finding, any fluid can be sampled for analysis and if the heart is thought to be causing this, then they can have a quick scan of that too. And based on those, they can advise you which is present and how best to help her. They can also confirm if she is spayed and double check there are no pups. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian