Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Sometimes when I go to touch her she it screams out and like

Customer Question
she's in pain or someone's...
Sometimes when I go to touch her she it screams out and like she's in pain or someone's hurting her and then stops
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy
JA: How old is Lucy?
Customer: About a year-and-a-half
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: I got her about three months ago and I think she was abused real bad when she was little because if you make sudden moves if you got something in your hand she goes around and hides
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Which breed is Lucy, please? While many dogs will vocalize out of fear others will do so when they are in pain and fear being hurt more.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A Blue Heeler
Thank you. My initial concern was that she was a miniature breed that is over-represented for back pain due to degenerative disk disease. Those dogs will often vocalize when approached or picked up. While this is still possible with Lucy, it's less likely. Your idea of her being fearful is more likely and so I'm going to opt out which allow an expert dog trainer to enter this conversation. The goal will be to instill confidence in Lucy which is done with basic training techniques.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK thanks
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 year ago
jadedangel57
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. Is there any specific area that you are attempting to touch such as head rear, paws?Has she had any obedience training at all?Do you take her for walks? If so, how long are they?Do you have a fenced yard?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's whenever I go to reach for her front chest area whenever it's over I'll Push and feel and she has no pain no where but when I go to reach for her she sounds like She dying we will go for a walk every morning for 30 minutes I don't have a fenced-in yard she lives in my apartment I just started putting her back in her kennel when I go to work because she started peeing in my bed I think that is because I think she was scared during the day she don't pee in the kennel I found her one day underneath the toilet in the bathroom and the bathroom is a place he's not allowed to go so I've never seen you in there before yes I started training her since I've got her she's real smart she when I got her she didn't know how to Play she was scared of the Shadows she's learning how to playshe's come a long way but then screaming in pain seems like it's getting worse
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she has become a very loving dog she loves to cuddle and she loves to bury yourself in my beard underneath my chin she loves playing with the kids next door course again she's learning how to play with the kids next door he basically
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. While it may be strictly behavioral, I wouldn't rule out a possible disc injury. A disc injury can cause pain intermittently and you wouldn't be able to push or prod to elicit a pain response. The pain happens when the dog moves in a certain way. If the pain tends to come at those times you are reaching for her or used to happen during that time, then she might learn to vocalize to avoid being touched in that manner. It might be that she still has pain or it is from abouse when she was young. I would ask your vet to check for any disc issue. Unfortunately that would require special imaging like a myelogram or CT scan. A disc issue might als cause a dog to lose control of their badder as well especially if they are relaxed and happen to move wrong. Read about disc issues below. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx If it is not medical in nature then you need to desensitize her to the action that causes her fear response. The easiest way is to condition her to come to you for the "touch". If she isn't obedience trained, definitely do that. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html Obedience training will help her gain self confidence and be less fearful as well. Getting her to come to you instead of you reaching for her may help her overcome any fear screams she might do. You can also get hot dog slivers and be sure to always give her a hot dog sliver as you are reaching to touch her or just prior to reaching for her so she starts associating touch with the treats rather than pain or past abuse. It wont be a fast quick fix but will allow her to overcome her fear of your touch in a low stress manner and will ultimately be a long term fix. Her interaction with the kids is good as well as she learns that humans mean play and treats, but be sure she isn't exhibiting any crying behavior during her play time with the children. So work on desensitization and obedience training and letting her come to you rather than reaching for her to touch her. Let her get real close, feed a treat with one hand while you lightly touch with the other creating a positive touch. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner