Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 110lb german Shepard got into a Pyrex glass bowl with some

Customer Question

My 110lb german Shepard got into a Pyrex glass bowl with some food garbage in it while I went out today. I was gone for two hours or three hours and then I let her out from the yard to the field by me for a run for 40 min. She ran around and seemed ok. I returned home and when I got back the glass was broken all over the floor. I spent 20min trying to put it together and it looked like some of the pieces were missing - not many. I gave her two tsp peroxide to vomit and she didn't - so I tried again ten min later and she didn't. I figure I was too
Late as prob 3hrs or more passes fr possible ingestion. I waited 40min bc she looked nauseous prob fr the peroxide. I fed her time and a half her dinner and about half a loaf of sliced bread in the hopes it will help it pass in the intestines. Do I have to worry? Please advise. She seems ok right now. Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, I am relieved to hear that she didn't vomit for you when you gave peroxide. This is because we never induce vomiting for sharp (or caustic) items, else there is high risk of causing damage to the esophagus on the way up. So, she actually did us a major favour in not responding to that and if we ever want to take something sharp from the stomach we'd want to have her vet scope it out safely. That aside, the bread was appropriate to help coat the glass's sharp edges. Further to this, we'd want to plan to put her on an easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice/pasta/boiled plain potato with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled egg, meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep her stomach settled. Furthermore, you can add a spoon of canned pumpkin (a good fiber source) to push the glass through the gut. As well, you can also offer cat hair ball medication or add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie lactulose, food grade mineral oil, or Miralax) to her food over the next few days to encourage the glass to slip through the GI and keep moving along. Of course, do note that if you use the GI lubricants, we can a bit of loose feces while they are being used (so don't be alarmed). With these supports we will hopefully keep the bone from getting caught and get them out via her feces. Finally, in regards ***** ***** we'd need to watch out for, we'd want to be making sure that gut stays comfortable (which you can check by pressing on the belly to see if she has any tensing, discomfort, or pain). Furthermore, we want to monitor for restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If we see any of these signs, then we'd have to assume its causing issue and would want to have her vet feel her stomach +/-xray to make sure there is no risk here. Overall, glass ingestion can be very dangerous for dogs but is something we just cannot induce vomiting for. So, you are on the right course with the bread. Otherwise, we'd want to use the above over the next 48 hours to help her pass this without bother. Of course, any of those red flag signs and we'd want her seen urgently. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, I am relieved to hear that she didn't vomit for you when you gave peroxide. This is because we never induce vomiting for sharp (or caustic) items, else there is high risk of causing damage to the esophagus on the way up. So, she actually did us a major favour in not responding to that and if we ever want to take something sharp from the stomach we'd want to have her vet scope it out safely. That aside, the bread was appropriate to help coat the glass's sharp edges. Further to this, we'd want to plan to put her on an easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice/pasta/boiled plain potato with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled egg, meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep her stomach settled. Furthermore, you can add a spoon of canned pumpkin (a good fiber source) to push the glass through the gut. As well, you can also offer cat hair ball medication or add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie lactulose, food grade mineral oil, or Miralax) to her food over the next few days to encourage the glass to slip through the GI and keep moving along. Of course, do note that if you use the GI lubricants, we can a bit of loose feces while they are being used (so don't be alarmed). With these supports we will hopefully keep the bone from getting caught and get them out via her feces. Finally, in regards ***** ***** we'd need to watch out for, we'd want to be making sure that gut stays comfortable (which you can check by pressing on the belly to see if she has any tensing, discomfort, or pain). Furthermore, we want to monitor for restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If we see any of these signs, then we'd have to assume its causing issue and would want to have her vet feel her stomach +/-xray to make sure there is no risk here. Overall, glass ingestion can be very dangerous for dogs but is something we just cannot induce vomiting for. So, you are on the right course with the bread. Otherwise, we'd want to use the above over the next 48 hours to help her pass this without bother. Of course, any of those red flag signs and we'd want her seen urgently. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )